Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Downieville in chairs

This weekend I was up in the mountains with six kids, three grownups and two puppies. Some of those people were my family. I sat in various chairs and read books, watched a bike race, hung out in town and also by the river. I had a good time and got outside and wore the tips off my crutches. It was a nice break.



This morning I got a phone call from my kids. They'd rowed a boat across a lake to the local store, then called me from a rotary phone to wish me happy birthday. That's pretty great. :)



Our friends the Tracey-Cook's invited us up to Downieville for the race weekend. We agreed months ago, when Sam (my son) would be racing it, and I might be racing. Between then and now, both Sam and I were injured and neither of us could race it. (Sam dislocated his shoulder three weeks before the race.) We went anyway, and stayed in the Big House, at Sierra Streamside Cabins.




It's right on the river, in fact by the water marks in the downstairs bedrooms it's obvious that it's in the riverbed, if you consider the long view. Matthew Tracey-Cook raced and did well, sixth in the junior 13-18 boys field. My kids Sam and Lulu, Matthew's little sister Sarah and friends Blair and Keegan were also up, and staying in the Big House. Matthew's parents Megan and Lili and Lauren and I, and the Tracey-Cook's two new puppies Clover and Seamus rounded out the house. Clover is a six-month-old black lab, and Seamus is a four-month-old chocolate lab. They were so cute! I had a taste of getting in the river, giving them pets when they were wet and covered in granite sand. Those were happy dogs. We also saw Oakland Composite kid Trevor, and his new buddy Trevor in town. Trevor and Trevor, how funny. They were volunteering for the race and staying in a tent in town. Lulu went up with Lili and the other kids Thursday morning. I went up with Megan and Sarah Thursday night, thinking I'd work Friday, but the restaurant that had wifi in Sierra City seemed to be closed for the time being. Lauren and Sam came up Friday night.




The kids had a great time hanging out together, going to town, swimming, playing in inner tubes and inflatable boats, flirting (yes) and playing with the puppies. I did a lot of sitting and reading, inside and outside. Lauren and I drove to the top of the Sierra Buttes to watch the racers come over the summit, then back to town, where I donated a lot of money to the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship, that is, bought a lot of raffle tickets. While I didn't win much, I had a good time and got to talk with a lot of friends. Lili and Megan were way too generous and kind, basically making sure I was happy and fed. I couldn't do much to help. I'm still on crutches, five weeks post-break and not allowed to put weight on my left leg yet.

Yes, that's a tractor seat.

We drove home Sunday night, while the rest stayed at the cabin for one more day, then drove to the Tracey-Cook's cabin at Fallen Leaf Lake, near Lake Tahoe. They'll come home Thursday. Tomorrow is Matthew's 16th birthday, and he'll get to spend it at the cabin with his friends. Happy birthday, Matthew!


No comments:

Post a Comment