Friday, September 26, 2014

First bike ride back

Monday I saw my orthopedist for my three-month visit. It had been six weeks since I last saw him, and at that time he said he'd probably clear me to ride, after my next visit, 9/22. He had cleared me to sit on a trainer and spin with no resistance, but I never did it. Why? Honestly, probably because I hate indoor trainers. I don't know why, really.


The visit went well. I'm healing well. There's no sign of AVN. He noted that I have retroverted hip sockets, I've always been that way. I just read about it. *shrug* I asked about my bone density, whether I needed a scan, and he confirmed what I thought; healthy bones. It was the impact that broke the femoral neck, not so much a weak femoral neck. He said I should practice not limping; watch myself walk in a mirror and force myself to walk straight. He said it's the muscles, and their lack of action, not the bones that are making me limp. I should do side and front leg raises with the injured leg. And I should ride my bike. No other physical therapy was needed. He said he'd suggest taking the metal out in the spring or summer. I definitely feel it. It rubs on my ITB (iliotibial band) and the exposed head on the single screw makes it impossible to sleep on my left side. I'm for taking it out. He said "Recovery for hardware removals are typically a breeze...some soreness but no crutches or restrictions. I'd say off the bike only for hard core riding, ok for low risk rides and definitely ok for trainer immediately." He also said I can start doing some core exercises, anything that "doesn't tweak your hip too much."


So I went for a ride. It was weird and uncomfortable throwing a leg over the bike. I can't really do it the way I'm used to, easily. I had to drop the seat, and both legs aren't easily lifted over the bike. My muscles don't want to lift the left leg correctly, and my left leg doesn't want to support my weight while I lift my right leg over. But at the beginning of a ride I can do it. It gets harder later in the ride, and I have to lean the bike way over. I also had new shoes, which made clipping out a little harder, especially on my left leg. As I was leaving my neighborhood I saw Devin, sitting outside of his garage. He had just finished a ride, but he decided to join me on my first ride. We both knew it would be short, and slow. He kept me company and we chatted and I felt good to have a friend on my first ride back.


It was just like riding a bike. I was so happy!



We did a short ride. I was pretty satisfied with how things went. Even tried and succeeded to ride some uphill switchbacks, and did a downhill trail with some decent speed and confidence.


I've since ridden to work and back every day. Well, except last night. A going-away evening of drinks with co-workers did not jive too well with riding my bike home, up a 1000' hill. And the alcohol made my heart beat funny. Thankfully Lauren came and got me at BART. But hey, I'm on a bike! And now I'm late for work and I have to get on it and go.



No comments:

Post a Comment