Tuesday, August 1, 2017

My review of _A People's History of the United States_, by Howard Zinn

A People's History of the United StatesA People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was good, I learned a lot and now our country and our world makes more sense. I don't like the sense it makes, but the big picture is logically sound. This is the history of our country, as told from the points of view of those who did not "win"; native Americans, women, blacks, workers, later immigrants, child labor. It was very hard to read, and it took me a long time, especially since I read it during the Trump administration, where the ugliness, avarice, elitism and disregard for the common man is so overtly displayed in every day's news cycle. To make it even worse, my wife and I watched the television series "House of Cards" at the same time, about a president and his wife / vice president who would do anything for power. I felt sick reading it, and was glad to be done. Every American should know this history. Now, for a palate cleanser, and for some continuity I'm reading Slaughterhouse Five. I'd recommend this book to everyone, but be prepared; "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy read!"


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment