Thursday, January 25, 2018

My review of Thalia: A Texas Trilogy

Thalia: A Texas TrilogyThalia: A Texas Trilogy by Larry McMurtry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is one of those books that I didn't want to end. It's so good. He was just a kid when he wrote it, and the subject matter is fairly astounding for early 1960s, set in Texas, by a Texas author. Reading it now, in 2018, with such a polarized national conscious reminds me that there are real people everywhere, with real lives, and that we must really see each other and look past prejudice. McMurtry has this amazing ability to characterize and understand people. I felt like I knew the people and place in this book - three books, all set in the same windy, high-plains Texas town near Kansas, Thalia. I'm glad he's a prolific author, because I'm looking forward to reading more of his books. He doesn't challenge the reader, he doesn't put you into conflict, or ask you to evaluate or reconcile difficult concepts. This is why I think of his writing as a guilty pleasure; it's good, not cheap or weak, but easy. I enjoy it a lot, and it makes me a little better.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment