Monday, May 11, 2020

To Wildcat Beach in Point Reyes, from our doors in the Oakland hills; a weekend bikepacking trip with Joe and Mark

On Saturday, March 14th and Sunday, March 15th, 2014 my friends Mark (father) and Joe (son) and I rode our bikes from our (well, Mark's and my) doors in the Oakland hills to Wildcat Beach in Point Reyes, spent the night on the beach at the campground, and then back home. Mark and Joe were originally part of an Oakland boy scout troop that laid aside some of the traditional norms, and had proper adventures in the mountains. Ever since, the dads continued to meet up for a big weekend trip. We organized our bikepack to coincide with their backpack, and met them at the beach. Admittedly, we traveled light. I carried some baguettes, meat and cheese I picked up in San Francisco, but we mostly relied on the largesse these fine gentlemen packed in from their cars. It was a very nice dinner, fire, bonding experience, breakfast and goodbye, with them! I wish I'd been part of that scout troop. (I got an email, later, when I shared these photos, "Hey, that's my CEO!") We took BART to and from the city, rode across the Golden Gate Bridge, and did dirt, mostly the same route, both days. I finished with a St. Patrick's Day dinner at my friend Mike's house, Lauren was there, and some other friends. Dinner was soda bread, corned beef, cabbage and Guiness. It was a wonderful finish! It was so much fun, and I can't wait to do another trip like this again. It's been six years! I am hopeful I might someday do a trip like this with my kids.

Here's the route, and photos from that trip.






















































































































No comments:

Post a Comment