Saturday, August 13, 2022

2022/07/22 Wellington Lake to Bailey, shuttle to Kenosha pass (wilderness bypass)


Friday 7/22 morning Lake Wellington I suggested to Mark that we take Jason up on his offer, abandon the wilderness bypass that we were dreading and let him take us to the next segment of the trail, Kenosha Pass. He agreed, but he felt that asking Jason to come to Lake Wellington was too far, and that we should go back up to where segment three ended, then drop down to Bailey, where Caleb had told us he got a burrito. He felt that would be more fair to Jason, because Bailey is on the highway. I agreed. We thought that Bailey was a 1200 ft descent but it's also a 900 ft climb. Whatever was ailing me on Thursday continued to give me great physical exhaustion. I could barely make any of the climbs on the ride to Bailey. Mark disappeared far in front of me. I was really suffering but finally arrived in Bailey. Mark and I went to the Rustic Station restaurant and we each ate a giant burger and a bunch of tater tots or fries and I think we each had three tall well Cokes. I could not get enough Coca-Cola. I tried charging my phone charger brick. Jason arrived. We visited and caught up. He had worked briefly with Lauren, and I knew him from the bike scene in Oakland before he moved to Colorado several years ago. He knew I was coming to Colorado to do this trip and offered to help. We were both so grateful that he would do this for us. He picked us up from Bailey, put our heavy bikepacking bikes on his 1-up rack. Then he drove us to a health food store where we got ingredients for dinner and breakfast, I paid. And then he drove us up to this spot on a service road where he'd gotten Christmas trees in the past. I believe it's called Lost Park. It was beautiful, high country, Meadows and Aspens. There was a lady camped next to us, I think her name might have been Debbie and she had a dog, maybe Annie? She was nice. She told us this was her regular spot. Jason made us homemade curry, it was amazing. Jason and Mark talked about camping rigs. I slept well for the first time, in my tent in the aspens. My theory is that it was finally cool enough to sleep well, but who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment