Saturday, August 13, 2022

2022/07/28 zero day in Buena Vista

No ride, no GPS track

Photo album

Since it was a zero day, we didn't have to rush. Got our resupply, again too much stuff. The post office was right next door to the Motel 8 which was handy. I rode my bike over to Black Burro Bikes, left it with Matt, with a short list; new rear tire, check chain, is it too short? Evan Ames had taken a link out when he put the 28 tooth ring on in Downieville, the derailleur looked really stretched, and it was not happy in the lowest gear. I also asked them to tighten the clamps on the Manything cages, and check the brake pads. Mark wanted to get some bone broth, and he and I discovered that the health food store across from the Motel 8, Lettucehead Food Company had what we needed. I got some soup for lunch there, and a few food items for the trip. I then walked back to the motel, hung out for a little bit, ate my lunch, did some internet stuff. Mark was doing some errands. I went back to the main street intending to buy some items, a new headlamp, as the Amazon one would no longer charge, a new stuff sack for clothes, as the stuff sack in the rear bag had gotten a hole in it probably from tire rub, some more tire plugs, etc. I found the same place Lauren and I had stopped at a few years ago, a combination gear store for outdoors and food restaurant. I met Mark there and got some of the things I needed. I had also stopped in at BV Bike Co, another bike shop in town. I found two people I knew there, Joe Parkin, pouring beer on one side and Simon Stewart, who I knew from Outerbike, reading his words in Bike and then Beta magazines, and as a Pro mechanic for SRAM at Downieville, where he and Josh, I think it was had helped me with my mountain bike. The famous Shit Bike was hanging on the wall, along with a bunch of other really neat bikes, including a very early Stumpjumper. Simon and I talked about serial numbers for it. To-do: check the serial number on the one I've got and connect with Simon somehow. Had a nice chat with Simon.  He offered advice on keeping hose clamps tight, but neither shop had a tool that had what I needed. Talked a bit about routes. I went to get the Yeti, it was all clean and had a new chain and the mechanic, Adam told me what I needed to know about the repair work. I was happy. Matt further gave Mark and I some advice, there was a side road from the county road 300 that would cut off a little bit of the climb and get us out of road traffic, I think it was 304. Checked a map. He also advised us to not bother with the road bypass of Marshall Pass road, instead just doing Foose's Creek, the Colorado Trail segment to Monarch Crest. He said it was mostly rideable. I thanked him, we said goodbye, I think I stopped in BV Bike Co a second time to get tire plugs from Simon, and that time Jake was there, of course, along with the guy who's place he had been staying, David I think, via Warm Showers. They were drinking beer. The beer looked really good but I wanted to be fresh for the next day so we didn't get any. They were about to do some sort of trivia contest. I asked where we should eat and Joe said Viking Burger, best in town, pointed the directions out to me so off we went. It was getting colder, and it turns out Viking Burger is a food truck with outdoor dining. Mark and I each got a Viking burger and some beer and had a good chat, even though it was cold. Rode bicycles back toward the motel. I got a wall charger that I was needing, I had left an Anker wall plug somewhere and needed a replacement. Since we were going to get up early and ride the CT the next morning, no beer, early bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment